KARERI LAKE TREK
6 NIGHTS/7 DAYS
DAY 01: 27 KMS DRIVE FROM DHARAMSHALA TO KARERI VILLAGE AND 8.5 KMS TREK FROM KARERI VILLAGE TO RIOTI
• We arrange pickup from Dharamshala Bus Stand at 6:30 AM. Dharamshala is around 10 kms from McLeodganj and there
are regular shared cab services available between two cities. 27 kms of journey from Dharamshala to Kareri
takes about 1.5 hours. We provide breakfast at a local home in Kareri village.
• Trek starts by 10 AM after our trek lead gives a brief round of introduction and instructions. As we start the
trek, we pass through beautiful farms and slate roof houses. Initial trek of 2 kms is through under construction
road. The forest trail starts after taking right turn from bridge on this road.
• Trail moves alongside Nyund River. This river serves as source of drinking water during whole trek. River acts
as our companion during the entire trek and the soothing sound of water gushing through the forest and over the
rocks provides a meditating effect. Forest trail is through rocky terrain. Entire trail is in the form of steps,
which locals have laid for ease of walking.
• After taking lunch break on the route, we proceed towards Rioti, camping site for first day. Rioti is located at
an altitude of 2550 metres above sea level. There are many small cafes too along the way. An old iron bridge
welcomes us to Rioti. Rioti is an ideal place to camp due to flat area and availability of water.
DAY 02: 4.5 KMS TREK (RIOTI-KARERI LAKE)
Day starts with morning tea at 7. We start trek towards Kareri Lake by 10 AM.
We plan to Reach Kareri Lake by 2 PM. Terrain is similar as on first day with lesser trees. 4.5 kms trek from Rioti until Kareri Lake takes around 3-4 hours. This day’s trek is through beautiful surroundings and besides many small waterfalls.
Kareri Lake is located at an altitude of 2950 metres. Interested people can go to Gajj or visit Lord Shiva Temple. Gajj is a local term, which means a flat area. It is at 20 minutes hike from the lake and is located towards east of Kareri Lake.
Kareri Lake also serves as the base camp for Minkiani Pass and Lam Dal.
DAY 03: 13 KMS TREK (KARERI LAKE – KARERI VILLAGE) AND 27 KMS DRIVE FROM KARERI VILLAGE TO DHARAMSHALA
• This is a comparatively longer day but easiest of all as we descend through entire 13 kms.
• Day starts at 7 AM. Post that, if time and weather permits, we try to have brief yoga and meditation sessions.
• Trek starts by 9 AM from Kareri Lake towards Kareri Village using same route that we used while ascending.
• We plan to reach Kareri village by 4:30 PM.
• From Kareri village, we move in pre-arranged cabs towards Dharamshala.
• We plan to reach Dharamshala Bus Stand by 7 PM.